Fly Fishing Knots
I was reading an article recently about the fly fishing knots and the topic came up of what is the best knot to use when tying fly line to leader. It got me thinking and in the past I almost always used the nail knot. I used that for a couple of reasons:
- Less bulky and smooth transition from line to leader.
- Easier ride through the guides on my fly pole.
- I got to carry a cool tool to help me make it.
- Strength of the nail knot.
But over the last 2 years I’ve almost exclusively used the loop to loop knot for my connections. Probably because I’ve gotten lazy in my old age, but these are the advantages I came up with:
- It’s convenient and fast.
- Attaching a welded loop to an existing loop on a leader takes seconds rather than minutes and rarely needs to be re done.
- Many claim the loop to loop is stronger than a nail knot. (I’d love feedback here)
So, with the facts (some of them) laid out I still leaning on the loop to loop fence, but I’d love to hear your argument either way.
What say ye?
Loop Knot Description to tie:
Nail Knot description to tie: