Loop stole the show

This years Frenzy trip we had with us a handful of Loop rods and reels.  Shane Wooten allowed us to demo these fine pieces of fly fishing gear.  We spent a week in Montana fishing on the Beaverhead River, Big Hole, Madison River and a few others.  Almost the Whole trip I fished with a Loop OPTi Runner fly reel and a OPTi Coast X Grip Rod.  I loved this rod and reel combo for these big rivers up there I had no issues casting long distances, into the wind or being delicate with close range approaches.  My absolute favorite thing about this combo is the OPTi reel.  The large arbor allows me to retrieve my line so much more quickly.  Until using this reel I never really thought that an oversized large arbor reel would be worth it but I am %100 convinced that it makes a huge difference when fishing to big fish in big waters.  Loop fly fishing gear stole the show this year.

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to “Loop stole the show”

1. Bender Says:

Loop rules and it has changed my life. From now on I will only buy Loop.

2. doug Says:

Why don’t you review Abel reels they are the best ive ever used?
    Loop is just another flash in the pants, id rather stay with proven success

Tom Reply:

How do you figure, Doug? Loop has been around for close to 35 years. They brought the industry’s FIRST large arbor to market for crying out loud. Sounds like a fly-by-night operation to me!

Eric Reply:

I would take the Loop Opti over any Abel reel.

Dave H Reply:

Yeah, surprising comment for sure…guessing that Doug hasn’t used ever tried a Loop Reel?? I went on this trip with the Frenzy and was able to try out several different Loop “set-ups”, and I couldn’t have been happier! I brought 3 rods with me; my Orvis “Access”, my TFO “Ticrx”, and my Sage “Circa” (as you can tell I’m not sold on one particular brand).
    We were fishing in Montana on some fresh water lakes and larger rivers, and so I decided to try out one of the 6wt Loop setups. I love my 6wt TFO rod for larger rivers and lakes, because it has a “butt” on the end and over a long day it’s nice to not have to cast so hard to get good distance (I’m a decent caster but not great). I’ll just say that the Loop setup I used was far and away the best experience I’ve had in a long time, casting a rod and reel. Maybe it was because the fishing was lights out!!! :) But fwiw and in reply to Doug’s comment, Loop is the bomb! I just bought a “Multi series” reel from Loop. I typically don’t like to spend a lot of money on reels because I’m so hard on them and don’t take care of them. But I dropped $300 and it’s the best purchase to date!!!

3. Ethan P. Says:

Yeah, would have to go with Loop. Just something about the feel for me! Good stuff and best of luck on the Beaverhead river this year!