With this blasted cold weather that wont seem to go away I got to thinking, how cold it too cold to fish. I have fished in -12 degrees before (with no wind) that that no wind makes all the difference in the world. I only lasted about an hour or so before I got off the water. We all fight the ice on the fly rod which I think is the single most frustrating thing when fishing in freezing temps. The next biggest thing has to be the hands getting cold. I am not a glove guy, I have tried many different types of gloves but I would just rather have my hand free and fight the cold then to have my gloves get in the way all the time. Next I would say our the feet. I double up on socks and also move around a lot when fishing so my feet don’t get that cold but I have fished with people that have the hardest time keeping the feet warm. With your feet I would suggest don’t have your boots too tight to allow blood circulation. This questions still remains, specifically referring to river fishing, how cold is to cold? What do people do to stay warm in the winter? Lets hear from you….
How cold is too cold?
About Big Hoss
Get our Newsletter and sometimes Free stuff
- Frenzy Holiday Giveaway December 19, 2011
- Guess the Fish! May 23, 2011
- VestPac Giveaway September 9, 2012
- Need a Caption March 26, 2012
- The Top 10 Most Mystical Fish to Catch on a Fly Rod May 16, 2009
- I wasn’t built for Winter fishing December 5, 2011
- Loop Knot or Nail Knot? May 18, 2013
- Loop stole the show May 16, 2013
- SDungeon dominates May 10, 2013
- This is Salmon April 29, 2013
- Sky High Salmon Fly April 19, 2013
- Therapy for the soul April 18, 2013
- Chubbs: Steve, thanks for the info. Great stuff....
- Steve Root: It depends on how often you change setups. If you...
- Chubbs: Great info and insight. Thanks spencer!...
- Spencer Cook: I personally use neither... I like to cut off my w...
- Bob: Beautiful place, aptly named, though... Was there...
- Dave Hancey: Sweet post Big Hoss! No doubt Galloup's influence ...
big brown trout brown trout Casting 4 A Cure falcon's ledge fishing report fly fishing fly fishing blog fly fishing film tour fly fishing frenzy Fly Fishing Gear Fly Fishing Idaho Fly Fishing Montana fly fishing provo river Fly Fishing Tarpon Fly Fishing tips Fly Fishing Utah fly fishing video fly fishing videos Frenzy Funnies frenzy giveaway Frenzy Trip Gear Review Green River Henry's Fork idaho fly fishing IF4 Madison River Middle Provo River Missouri River monster tarpon Montana Fly Fishing no sports allowed Provo River provo river brown Rainbow Trout tag1 The international fly fishing film festival The Utah Stream Access Coalition tiger trout USAC utah fly fishing Utah Water Guardians utah water rights weber river winter fly fishing
Become A Fan
fly fishing frenzy on Facebook
Browser through our Categories
- Dream Destinations
- Fly Fishing Arizona
- Fly Fishing Idaho
- Fly Fishing Montana
- Fly Fishing New Mexico
- Fly Fishing Oregon
- Fly Fishing Utah
- Fly Fishing Wyoming
- Frenzy Funnies