Here are the 5 flies you must have in your box this winter. I really think winter fishing is some of the best because you don’t see as many people, the water is low and clear. I do love midge hatches in the winter, it might be the best dry fly action of the year. so here is the list.
- Midges – This means all different sizes and colors. Remember, if you see fish rise and they wont take your midge dry, go smaller.
- Scuds/Sowbugs – This is one bug that I feel fish will eat year around and they are in most rivers.
- Pheasant Tails – Also a bug that fish will be looking for year around, just have smaller sizes.
- Eggs – I know these are the best at the beginning of the winter but you can use them as a great attractor for your second fly
- Streamers – In the winter fish are more lethargic but you can still turn some heads and catch good fish using streamers.
Most of these I know are straight forward but the key is having a huge variety of these flies because winter fish are more picky and if you don’t they will frustrate the hell out of you.
Good luck this winter.
Here are some pics of the flies.
There are a ton of midges but this is my favorite winter midge
Put some red thread on the head of the fly
I always use a flashback
My Favorite Streamer as of now… this changes a lot.