Goat Head Sole Spikes Gear Review
Nothing is worse than wade fishing and taking a dive.
We’ve probably all been there before; when nothing will stand in your way of getting to that hole just a bit further upstream that you know is holding big trout. As you inch closer, your boot slips on the bottom of the river and you take a nice swim!
Or maybe you just have a hard time staying on your feet like this guy:
Regardless, Goat Head Sole Spikes transform your wading boats into traction machines.
The spikes come in a handy container, with traction spikes, and a custom traction spike screwdriver to attach the screws to the bottom of you boot.
Goat Head is a local company that has supported the fly fishing community in many ways. They were a sponsor at the IF4 and donating product that was raffled off.
Read what they say about this patent pending product:
“Goat Head Sole Spikes™ are carefully designed traction spikes that screw directly into the soles of most any outdoor shoe. Unlike clumsy strap-on devices that rob the feel and agility of your performance shoe, you’ll hardly notice your Sole Spikes except for the earth-gripping traction you gain.
- Each cup contains 24 quality Sole Spikes made from cold-forged, heat-hardened, corrosion resistant stainless steel for maximum durability as well as a 1/4″ magnetic socket bit for EASY installation
- 28 biting edges on each head for superior traction with fewer spikes
- Serrated flange “locks” the spike into the sole to prevent back-turning and fall out
- Easy to install in just about any shoe as our needle point screw tip allows goes right in without pre-drilling or other methods
- Short tip and beefy flange prevent accidental push through to the foot
- Bright finish makes it easier to find if you happen to drop a spike in snow or gravel
- Use of Sole Spikes™ can increase the life of your shoe sole (like a hobnail)
- Small gauge of the tip leaves minimal impact to your sole if you remove the spikes later. Not much more than if you stepped on a goat head thorn
- Most importantly, they can help keep you safe!
Join the Sole Spike revolution and you can follow Goat Head here:
Check out the pics of my Sole Spike experience with my fishing boots. Getting the spikes assembled was step one. Step two will be soon when I put them to test on the Henry’s Fork.