- First thing to make sure you have is a new fishing licence. I know in Utah that your licence is good for one year from the day you buy it so it isn’t something you need to worry about the first of the year. I know that other states you need to renew it at the beginning of the year, so don’t forget to pick one up if you need.
- Something else to consider this year is getting a lanyard, if you don’t already have one. This is something I have used for years now and it is literally one of the best purchases I have ever made. This tool will help with every situation.
- There are at least four things you need to have on your lanyard floatant, hemostats, tippet and clippers. Everyone is different and I am sure there are some that have a ton of stuff hanging on their lanyard but I found those four things are the minimum I need to have at my finger tips.
- You should always have a 3 pack of leader in your bag. You never know when you will need to replace your leader. I have also been with friends many times where they also needed a new leader and it sure is nice to have a few extras.
- I always have two of each size of tippet, I might not have them all on my lanyard but in my bag I have extras. I started doing this because of one time on the river I ran out of 4, 5 and 6x all in the same day. I don’t really have a recommendation of what brand or type but I do like to buy the 50 meter spools instead of the the 30 meter.
- With the rivers I fish I nymph a lot so I also have a variety of the split shot weights. I like having all different sizes so I can get the exact weight and that I can get my flies down as fast or as slow as I want.
- Load up on flies. If you tie flies one thing I do is I will tie for a few weeks to get almost all the flies I need for the year. I do buy certain types of flies because I not that good of a fly tier so the more complex flies I will buy.
Not to much to think about but a good list non the less, and I am sure a ton of you have gift cards and cash you need to use so go out and get stocked up.
Fishpond tundra pack
ContourRoam HD Camera
William Joseph waters
Simms wading shoes