Vintage Gear

September 19, 2011

Fly Fishing Gear

I found some of my dad’s vintage fly fishing gear collection. I really don’t know how old some of this stuff is but it seems old. Can anyone tell me from the pictures and the condition of the fly book and the flies how old this stuff may be? It is funny to see how thick the tippet/leader is on these flies, you would think that you would have the toughest time catching fish cause the line is so thick and heavy. Not only is the line thick and heavy but the flies were also heavy. I can imagine that avid fly fisher’s were extremely good casters dealing with the line and flies they had to place casts perfectly to have the best chance of getting the fish. After seeing this stuff and imagining myself using it I want to learn more about how fly fishing was in the beginning just to gain an appreciation on how far we have come and possibly how much easier technology has made it to great at this sport.

Any thoughts?

no images were found

, ,

8 Responses to “Vintage Gear”

1. Chubbs Says:

Those are some sweet pics of vintage fly gear!

2. JayMorr Says:

Any inscriptions on the reel or rod? The reel from my first glance appears to be a Antique Union Hardware Fly Fishing Pillar Reel .

They made a couple different versions. If it is what I think it is….probably dated to 1900-1910 circa give or take a couple of years.

Cool stuff.

k, i am going to check. That would be crazy if it was that old. I know some of the stuff looked to be newer than others so i thought that maybe parts have been refurbished.

3. Cliftz Says:

That’s some old stuff. I have some old reels. It seems back then, the hardware store was the goto place because several mfg reels and rod.

Can you imagine having to fish with stuff like that…..it would be tough.

Cliftz Reply:

Maybe. It’s all pretty tough until you’ve cast a thousand casts, tied a few hundred knots, and ‘settled in’ with the equipment from whatever era. Of course, the lines back then required some care…
    Every aspect of The sport sure has come a long way…

4. JayMorr Says:

Here is some more info for you on what I think the reel appears to be.

I hope this helps. I can’t make out anything on the rod.

awesome link…..thanks JayMorr.