Frenzy Trip 2011 Recap

This year on our Fly Fishing Frenzy trip we focused more on fishing and less on videos and pictures…..that doesn’t mean we didn’t take a lot, we just didn’t spend as much time this year getting that perfect shot or perfect clip.  We still manage to take few good photos and videos.  This years trip started with a drive by of Daniels Reservoir hoping to see some top water action but after an hour of no action we decided to keep on moving.  We fished the Henry’s Fork outside of St. Anthony and had some success with small nymphs but over all it was cold and the water was off color and high.  Day two we headed to the Beaverhead River and that is when the action really heated up.  Dave Hancey and myself found a run that produced about 45 fish to the net in 4 hours.  That night we fished from the banks of Clark Canyon Reservoir and that was the night that we caught the biggest fish of the trip landing 5 fish over 24 inches. We fished the Beaverhead two days and headed to the Madison River.  We had planned to make our way to Missoula but we didn’t hear many good reports up that way and knew that the Madison River would produce so that is where we ended up the next three days. Over those three days we fished every foot of the river between Hebgen lake and Quake Lake.  The weather wasn’t the best but there is something about experiencing rain, snow, sleet, hail, lighting, wind and sunshine all in one day that makes fishing fun. The rain did force us to hit West Yellowstone for a hotel instead of camping and the fact there was three feet of snow did help.

The trip was a success landing many good fish and giving us all new experiences with new waters.  Here a few pictures from the trip.

, , , , ,

10 Responses to “Frenzy Trip 2011 Recap”

1. Pete Says:

I’m jealous! 2 questions, what were you throwing at night? And what kind of ceiling rack is that for the rods?? I’ve been wanting to make one.

We were throwing dark color leaches just right off the shore. The black and the purple did the best. That rack was just home made by Travis Gillespie. I will have him comment on this so he can explain it.

2. Ryan Says:

How do I get in on that action next year? :)

great question, we really just plan a trip with a bunch of friends and head up north to Idaho or Montana and just fish every second we get. We are thinking of inviting a few people that follow our blog for next years trip. Stay tuned for next year trip info.

thanks for following

3. Travis Says:

Pete, the rod rack is simple and has been tied and tested over many seasons. Here’s what I used, but really every car is different so you might need to be a little creative as far as the attachments.
    To make the rods stay accross the top of your SUV and out of the way. You need a back rack that holds the reels and a front rack that keeps the rods up.
    For the Front Rack I tie 20 pound mono line(I like it cause its thin and clear and nobody notices it when I’m not using it) from the right side hand brace to the left hand brace located on each side of the middle row just above the door. (Find something similar in your SUV, like hanger holder, etc…)

For the back rack I bought a bungee cord and cutt off the 2 hook ends and threw away the bungee cord. Then I got some black rope and tied a bungee hook to one end. (I like the rope rather then bungee cause it doesn’t bounch as bad) After that I bought a 2.5 ft PVC pipe 1 inch dia. and cut little slots in it for rods to stay in place. Then I got some velcro and glued it on the top side of the slots to hold the rods in place. (See Pic Above)Lastly I tied on the other hook at the right lenght to mount it and left enough rope to wrap around the back side of the reels and secure with with the velcro, so they don’t bang the back window. I mounted mine inbetween the back top panels. (See Pic)
    Hope this makes sense, if not call me 801-616-8865. Travis

Pete Reply:

Awesome, thanks Travis. I’ll let you know if I have any hiccups while making my own.

4. Tim Says:

Just talked to Spencer Higa who told me about the frenzy and that you guys had some success with the SOS and my bug, the phlamin pheasant on the beaverhead. I’d Love to hear how the bug fished in Montana, haven’t had a chance to fish it up there yet, especially on the beaverhead. One of my favorite rivers of all time. Love the site man.

I am planning on doing a post about your fly. We killed it on the beaverhead with that fly. out of every 10 fish we caught 6 or 7 on that fly….. it was a killer. Just let me know if you want to include any info about the fly. i will probably do the write up next week some time.

5. Fly Fishing Lodge Vacation Says:

I agree with each and every conclusions made on fly fishing blog. It is really very informative. Thanks for sharing.

1. christmas gifts for 2011 - November 24, 2011

christmas gifts for 2011…

[…]Fly Fishing Frenzy | Fly Fishing Blog | Utah | Idaho | Montana | Fly Fishing Frenzy[…]…