The World of Online Fly Fishing Mags

April 5, 2011

Frenzy

Online Fly Fishing Magazines

Over the last few years online fly fishing magazines have been coming hot off the press.  I have had a couple of burning questions regarding online publications that I’d like to throw out to the frenzy nation.

• Do you think that these online publications will eventually replace traditional print magazines?
  • What is your favorite online fly fishing magazine?
  • What is your favorite print fly fishing magazine?

I for one am a fly fishing magazine junkie.  I love reading them online or in print.  I love what ‘This is Fly‘ and ‘Catch Magazine‘ have done, but also really starting to get into Pool 32 Mag, which I just recently discovered.  The pictures and stories of these online publications rock!

For print, I really like Northwest Fly Fishing and Fly Fisherman.

Here are the April links to the online mags:

Catch Magazine

This is Fly

Pool Mag 32

Great Stuff!

, , , , , ,

14 Responses to “The World of Online Fly Fishing Mags”

1. Larry Tullis Says:

I hope print magazines don’t go away, but they are certainly being diminished by online mags, blogs and audiences because most are free and many are focused on certain aspects or areas. Advertisers have a hard time deciding where to put their money.

The hard-copy magazines are best for taking places with you, like fishing or doctors office or the bathroom or while you’re eating lunch…places where you may not have access to the internet.

I miss the old days of the Virtual Flyshop (Fly Fisherman Magazine website) when it had lots of action and comments from many thought provoking and varied schools of fly fishing experts from around the globe. It’s now just a glimmer of it’s former self as people filtered out to various, more focused sites. It’s both good and bad. You have to bounce around alot more now.

Fly Fisherman and Flyfishing & Tying Journal are my favorite magazines. They have been around a long time, as have I.

I think there is too much online boutique fly magazines these days with short pieces and flashy photos designed for short attention spans. I’m more of an old school guy that loves in-depth articles, seminars by acknowledged experts and the resulting discussions. These explore the subject in-depth with lots of how-to, where-to and why-to information that allows you to immerse yourself in the subject and devour it for a time…not just a nibble.

Larry, awesome comment! thanks for you feedback.
    i agree. it seems that the shorty pieces flashes photos go along with the ‘on demand’ desires that most this generation has. I think that is why advertisers are having difficulty placing money for advertising in an ‘on demand’ advertising world. people tivo their favorite shows and fast forward through the commercials. we only want to see the ads we care to see.
    online world is similar. We jump to pages we want to see and fast forward through the others.
    interested topic and thanks again for the insight.
    Chubbs

2. Chubbs Says:

Larry, awesome comment! thanks for you feedback.
    interested topic and thanks again for the insight.
    Chubbs

3. Big Hoss Says:

I personally love reading the print magazines but also love the the cost factor and ease of the online magazine movement. i think the online magazine will be more profitable so that will be the winner over time.

Agree Hoss. I love the stack of Fly Fishing Mags in the house!

4. Spencer Says:

I love both print and online mags. When I’m at work and have a few minutes to spare it’s easier for me to just get online and browse the online mag. Also, my boss doesn’t see it laying around. I love the printed mag best when I’m lounging at home winding down while watching tv. I travel a lot and there’s nothing better than pulling out a fly fishing mag on a 5 hr flight to pass the time while catching up on the latest and greatest in fly fishing.

Good point Spencer. Every time i go on a plane i head right to the bookstore and pick up 2 0 3 fly fishing magazines.

5. Tyler Skeen Says:

I can honestly say there is nothing like getting the new magazine in the mail to tear into and begin plotting on how to escape the daily grind and get out. Not to mention that the magazines look great in my fish themed guest room. However, with the advent of the i-pad and other tablets I see a large segment moving to digital. Look at the newspapers. The ones that are smart are moving more to an online presence while still offering a printed version for those that request it. Companies that focus on going to digital will be more profitable in the long run because of the many different revenue streams that can come from various types of advertisements. And lets face it, the dollar is what will make the decision at the end of the day.

Another good point Tyler. i have usa today and Life on an ipad and that is where i go for news. i can see fly fishing publications moving that way. The WFN has an app that shows video and news. cool app!
    at the end of the day, the place where the companies can make the most money will win out!
    thanks for the dialogue!

6. northernfly Says:

It seems pretty obvious that major changes are going on in the fishing magazine world with the increase in online content. One of the advantages I see with this evolution is there are opportunities for focused publications that target particular regions, interests or styles. The size of the market is likely too small to justify print versions but digital may make it possible. But at the end of the day I think the jury is still out as to whether they will be viable from a commercial sense or will exist as someone’s labor of love.

I read a variety of both paper and digital magazines but particularly enjoy articles that revolve around destinations.

On the paper side I like Eastern Fly Fishing and on the digital side, one that has had some great articles is Ten & Two Magazine.

Thanks northernfly. Ten and two looks pretty sweet. i’ve never heard of them before. thanks for passing them on.
    Where do you typically fish? are you in the eastern states?
    thanks
    chubbs

northernfly Reply:

I’m actually up in Canada. I fish in Eastern Ontario and Quebec a lot but upstate New York is actually closer than many of the Canadian spots so trips down there are pretty frequent as well. Pennsylvania is further but also accessible for multi day trips.

Good luck this season. Keep us updated and if you’re ever out in idaho or utah, look us up.

northernfly Reply:

Thanks Chubbs, One of these days I will make it the western US. In the meantime I’ll enjoy it vicariously :-)