Fly Fishing and Social Media

October 21, 2010

Thoughts

I really haven’t written much lately for the blog so I decided to put some thoughts down. I have a hall pass from the wife this Saturday to go fishing and I have been thinking a lot about where I should go. I threw out my question into the social media universe and got some great suggestions. One of many reasons why I love social media is to get great conversations going with people that you would otherwise never talk to. I have actually made about a dozen new friends through Facebook that I consider now to be good friends and that I have been fishing with. I have also made many many friends that I now chat with on a regular basis. I don’t spend a ton of time on the social media giant but I do love seeing all the pics and getting updates from different fisheries around the world. I believe that social media has only helped fly fishing and will provide a platform to share and help business.

I would love to hear what everyone thinks about the explosion of social media and how it has affected the fly fishing community, what do you think?

, , ,

14 Responses to “Fly Fishing and Social Media”

1. Pete Goodro Says:

Social Media is such an awesome thing. Not only have I met new people to fish with and found new places to fish, but I have been reacquainted with people I really care about and had lost contact with. Nothing makes my day like getting a friend invite from someone in another country who I haven’t spoken to in a decade. By adding different fly shops, lodges and companies I have learned about new dream fishing destinations and gotten great gear for cheap too. I can attribute my $260 WJ waders for $35, my biggest Tiger Trout 21″, the spot I caught my biggest brown, several new fishing buddies and secret fishing holes, all to social media. Now if I only had more time to fish…

well said Pete, you might have to help on getting those deals on gear….

2. Nick Says:

I’m right with ya, I’ve created a bunch of new fishing buddies through fb, hell, I even met my fiance on fb back in college when facebook was just for students (we had mutual real life friends so she didn’t think I was a total creeper) … I think its great for the fly fishing community as well because you can reach out to so many people with minimal effort. I enjoy getting random friend requests from fisherman all over the world too …

Nick, that is cool you were one of the first users.

3. Brandon Huerta Says:

I think social media is the new market place. And fly fishing is going to gain from it as much as anything else would. If it wasn’t for social media I probaly would have never entered the guiding business. It is responsible for the intial information I needed to get me going and ultimatly lead me to the right people to help me get going. I think social media will do fly fishing a great service.

….and you are a heck of a guide. Can’t wait to hit the Teton with you again someday.

Brandon Huerta Reply:

I look forward to our next trip too Hoss. I will be back over in Eastern Idaho around April/May. If you are ever in the Boise area before then and want to go tackle the South Fork of the Boise, or the Owyhee let me know. Hope all is well for you!

I will for sure. I have always wanted to hit the Owyhee.

4. Jake Ricks Says:

I think that social media levels the playing field between businesses in many way. A small savvy company now stands a chance to get the traction for a good start without spending a ton on advertising. Our guide service, Utah Fly Guides, already has hundreds of friends and likes in our first season. This has resulted in several trips. The word of mouth from those trips via social media has resulted in many more. That would have cost thousands in traditional marketing. It’s really cool to see a good thing go viral. On the negative side, fly fishing has suffered a bit from a lot more hot spotting. But that’s just the selfish side of me not wanting to share all my sweet spots discovered the old fashioned way – by entirely neglecting all respectable pursuits and being a total trout bum.

I have always struggled with how much info to share. Ever since we have had our blog and facebook page I have wanted to share with other fisherman a lot of info so they have a great experience. With new fly fisherman i think they should spend time figuring things out on their own but at the same time i feel like i should share my knowledge with them and not be selfish. Great points Jake

5. Frank Says:

I think any business who wants to connect with their customers or audience HAS to be involved in social media. If you aren’t on Facebook and Twitter, you are losing business. Interestingly enough, I now get most of my news about the companies I care about via Facebook. It’s the only site I have open all day (on a 2nd monitor) and keep an eye on my feed to see what’s happening. Twitter gets a lot of noise so I miss a lot on there, but not Facebook. Love it!

6. Evan Says:

I’ll start off saying that I am a social media/online marketing professional, so I will spare you all on my thought of the positive attributes of social media for (small) businesses. I agree with Jake though, that social media has leveled the playing field in terms of the easier access to not only local, national, but international markets for the small guys. It allows you unparalleled access/communication to both current and potential customers. Some people might disagree, but it has only helped the industry’s growth in my opinion. I have read countless articles and reports saying the numbers of fisherman across the country are down, with the main demographic getting older by the day. By having easier 24/7 access to not only a plethora of information about our beautiful sport, but also introducing new people to the sport is phenomenal. It is the ultimate glue that is keeping this lifestyle together. Yea, some people’s spots are being blown up, but share only the information you want to share. I know plenty of people that reference their favorite spots only by “spot x”. Personally, I don’t mind sharing the water with other fisherman (women) as long as they have proper river etiquette. Just the ability to meet new people from anywhere in the world to share stories, pictures and advice is priceless. Having relocated from Missoula to Portland recently I am grateful for the many great people I have met through social media channels that have given me tips and pointers on local rivers, techniques, etc.. Going from small stream trout fishing to bigger river steelhead fishing is a big change (personally) and I appreciate the friendships I have made with some local people who have reached out and have gone fishing with. Everything is an open book in this informational age of technology and I can only see the positive side as the sport/industry is growing and more people are actually able to carve out a career doing what they love. Just look at the countless bloggers and budding entrepreneurs that are flourishing because the barriers to enter the space have fallen. I bet a high percentage of us would never have come across the great people here at FlyFishing Frenzy if it weren’t for FB or Twitter. Until next time, Keep up the great work guys!

1. Tweets that mention New Post Fly Fishing and Social Media: I really haven’t written much lately for the blog so I decided to put some ... -- Topsy.com - October 21, 2010

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Brent Ramey, flyfishingfrenz, Arjan Terpstra, Tina, Fetha Styx and others. Fetha Styx said: RT @flyfishingfrenz: Fly Fishing and Social Media: I really haven’t written much lately for the blog so I decided… http://bit.ly/awDLwF […]

2. Tweets that mention Fly Fishing and Social Media | Fly Fishing Frenzy -- Topsy.com - October 26, 2010

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Fetha Styx, Evan Davies. Evan Davies said: RT @flyfishingfrenz: Fly Fishing and Social Media http://ht.ly/2ZFGZ […]