It’s pronounced “Crick” up here in Montana

March 11, 2009

Reports, Rock Creek Montana


My good friend Jeff Thomas from Missoula Montana sent me a write up from the last time he hit Rock Creek.  We posted about Rock Creek a week or so ago and here is another addition to that great water. Thanks again Jeff.


I was sitting at my House on Friday night when I got a call from a good friend of mine Josh Bush.  He told me that he was going to head over to Missoula from Butte, MT that following morning to meet with his friend Kevin Chick, to go fishing at Rock Creek.  Josh asked if I wanted to join them. I told him that I would love to but I had to work……at that very moment I all of the sudden started feeling very ill.  I told him I hadn’t taken a sick day all year and that I would see him bright and early that next morning.  I packed up all of my gear and in a half hour after my conversation I found myself in route from Helena to Missoula. I met up with Josh and Kevin at about 8:30 am at the Valley of the Moon fishing access. We got dressed and rigged up in the parking lot.  I should probably add that when we stepped out of our trucks we were all surprised how BITTER COLD is was. It was 8 degrees out with no wind. We were second guessing our decision about fishing but we all decided that since we already drove as far as we did, we better suck it up!

After rigging up our flies we jumped into my truck and headed up Rock Creek Rd to our destination.  Now that our hands had time to warm up we were ready to hit the Creek. (Pronounced “Crick” up here in Montana)

rock-creek-san-juanWe worked our way upstream fishing all of the same banks and honey holes that I fished 2 weeks prior with Rob, Matt and Big Hoss.  After about five casts I took a look at my line and it had formed icicles from my strike indicator down to my nymphs. Each fly was encased in a thick layer of ice.  My San Juan Worm was now looking like an Earth worm, and my Copper John went up in size like I did my Freshman year of College. It couldn’t have looked any less appealing to the Trout. I tried a couple of different Stonefly Nymphs that were hitting 2 weeks before but nothing seemed to be working.

About 2 hours of walking upstream fishing all of the right banks I started getting frustrated.

It was starting to warm up and our lines stopped freezing up on us. I sat down on the bank and decided to put on some fresh fly patterns. I left Josh and Kevin upstream and ventured down to a hole where I was Determined to land me a fish.

I found a hole that has a gradual drop off where the water was moving at a perfect speed. There was a down tree that I was letting my flies drift under. On my second Cast…..Wham! I hooked up on a nice 15-16 inch Brown and then not five minutes later, same hole…Wham!!!  After popping a couple of pics I walked upstream to check on the other two guys. They both had a few hits and misses but all in all the fishing hadn’t gone all that well for us. Nothing like the 20 fish we caught last time we were up here. We all came to the conclusion that it was time to head back to the truck and that we needed to come back when our lines and eyelets of our rods aren’t freezing up on us so bad.  I can still say that as slow and frustrating the day was…It beats any day at work.

Subscribe to the Frenzy posts


, , , ,

4 Responses to “It’s pronounced “Crick” up here in Montana”

  1. Dr Gillespie Says:

    Nice write up. Winter fishing is always more about the time on the water than the catching. Like u said it beats being in the office. I love the pis. That worm got distroyed


  2. Big Hoss Says:

    A bad day on the river is better than a good day at the office.


  3. RnF Says:

    Glad I am not the only one who uses them Hothead indicators, love those things.

    Nice site


  4. Laboratory Balance Says:

    You really know your stuff… Keep up the great work!


Leave a Reply