Trout hunting on the Logan River

March 2, 2009

Logan River, Reports, Videos

img_4358I spent this weekend up at my in-laws in Smithfield just north of Logan.  Of course I brought my fishing gear to hopefully hit the Logan River.  I had permission from the wife to go up for a few hours so i planned to hit the river on Saturday.  When I woke up it was a whopping 6 degrees so I decided to wait a few hours for it to warm up.  I had talked to my friend Steve Palmer about where to go because the handful of times I have fished the Logan River I have never really had good success.  Steve spent his college years at USU and fishing the Logan River so I knew he would know where to go.  He mentioned to go up past Tony Grove and fish Red Bank.  My first thought was if the river would be iced over and not fishable.  Of course being only 6 degrees in the valley I knew it must be much colder where I was headed.  When I got to Red Bank sure enough the river had too much ice so I turn around and headed back down the canyon.  I remembered on the way up there was a spot that looked good so I decided to wet a line there.  The next couple of hours I ended up hunting for fish.  The water was awesome but not to many fish were found.  Overall it was a great day on the water exploring a new area and being absolutely alone.  I will let the video explain the rest.

, , , ,

14 Responses to “Trout hunting on the Logan River”

1. Cutthroat Stalker (Scott) Says:

Hoss,

You found it! One of my favorite stretches of my home water. I was up there about 5 weeks ago (http://scarles.org/blog/cutthroat-stalker/589/mouth-to-river-resuscitation/ – some of those pictures might look familiar), but nothing for me other than a heck of an exercise routine (I usually climb out where the road curves to the right just up the road a ways from where you parked – it’s even steeper and nastier up there). I don’t catch many fish in the winter on the Logan, but come back in summer and that is a fantastic stretch. Plenty of cutts. And the biggest brown I’ve caught in Logan was a mile or so upriver (21 5/8″).

Another nice hole is right below the parking spot on the left when you go past the two cutbanks where you parked.

If you would have fished Rock Bank (my guess is that is really Red Banks – was there a campground there?), you might have been in trouble – from there upriver is all off limits to fishing until mid-July.

Give me a shout next time you’re up this way, especially in the summer, and I can take you a couple of other spots along the Logan.

– scott c

You are right, it was red bank. I can’t wait to hit that spot. Good to know that it is closed to fishing, thanks for the heads up. I should have looked it up to know that. 21 inches? that is unreal!!! We will for sure plan a time when you can show me the ropes. I actually thought of you when I was heading up the canyon and that I should have asked for your advice on where to go.

2. DSFlyman Says:

AWESOME! Even with one fish to hand, that looks like a great afternoon.

It was awesome. Catching that one fish made the whole day so worth being there.

3. Dr Gillespie Says:

Atta boy Hoss! I freakin love the short films…it just made my Monday blues wash away. Beautiful Native Cutt!!!

Glad i could be of service. This weather is awesome we need to get out on the river.

4. Dr Gillespie Says:

Sounds good! I just got back from a week of work in Chicago and need a break. I tied up some micro midges tonight they should work wonders for the buyer and myself on the Provo. Hoss we should ty some up one of these nights.

5. Victor Says:

Hey guys, I just found your site. Love it! I live in Logan and fish the River almost every weekend. Next time you come up, let me know and we can hit it together. It is not nearly big enough to companion fish, but we could leapfrog through some good water.

thanks for visiting the site. I will be back up there in a few weeks so we will have to hit the river. I can’t wait to hit that section when it is a bit warmer.

6. Ian Says:

Awesome. I will be heading up there soon. Just been waiting for the warmer weather.

7. zack Says:

Hey! I went fishing up by the dugway for a few hours today trying to get a Cutthroat. No such luck… I got a couple browns and saw a lot of nice water but I’ve got an urge to catch cutthroats, I’m wondering could you possibly help me out as in like where’s the best place and flies to get one this time of the year. I live in Logan and am always up for a fishing trip if anyone wants to go! Thanks.

this time of year a lot of the best water is closed. i fish most the time up by Red Bank but if you go where you see me in the video you should see some cutts. it is right below one of the bridges about 25 min up the canyon.

and the flies i would use are small pheasantails. i would also look at the rocks to see what is in the river.

zack Reply:

Alright thanks I’ll be sure to give it a try as soon as I can.